The Tale of a Night Shifter

The dark night has been my new day for the last three weeks. I am still struggling with the schedule as my biological clock has gone haywire since this shift has started. More so on Mondays after a two-day holiday weekend during which I go back to regular programming to be with family. 

Working at home on a night shift is a new way of life in more ways than one. 

Home ALL the Time


I would consider myself a homebody as I love staying at home. Or at least anywhere but an office. And now I got my wish. That first week I literally stayed at home for 5 straight days. I barely even went down to the first floor of our house! 

It was transition week after all. There were days when I could barely get any sleep. The room was too bright even with the blinds down. Each little sound was too noisy. I just toss and turn and toss and turn until voila! it's time to work again. In short, I was too busy working out my sleeping, waking and eating patterns to even consider going out. 


Night Owl

While everybody is sleeping, I am wide awake working in my little corner of the room. We now have this curtain hanging in the middle of the room to shield my boys from the glaring lamp light. We even rearrange our furniture so I can have my mini office within our bed room. 

But since I work at home, I still get to tuck my little boy to sleep when it's bed time already. I arrange pillows on his right side, where I use to lay, so he won't fall off the bed. Though falling of our bed wouldn't be that disastrous since we have our mattress right on the floor. 

During breaks, I sneak in to steal a few kisses from my little boy's cheeks. Sometimes I even eat beside the bed and watch him sleep. 
  
Working in My PJs

 Yes, I do not have to dress up. No one would see me anyway! I do try to put on a decent top though because sometimes my client and I would do video calls. But still, I could pretty much work in my undies if I wanted to. LOL!

No Travel

The only traveling I do is from my computer table to the bed or the kitchen or the bathroom and back again and it doesn't cost anything! The time I used to allot to commuting to and from the office, I now use to clean our room, play with my son or do some other personal stuff.

Mommy Thoughts
So far, this set-up works for me. Who knows maybe I can get a day shift work from home soon. Then life would be more normal. I'll tell more tales of this new life of mine in my next posts. 


Comments